Energy Conservation is More Effective, Affordable and Environmentally Friendly.
The massive subsidies provided to Wind Power is a wasteful use of our tax dollars. Efficiency and Conservation programs should the be the priority if significant reductions in fossil fuel use are to be achieved.
Industrial Wind Turbines Cause Real Damage.
|Construction of a wind energy facility on Mars Hill, Maine. Source.
Industrial wind factories are destructive to communities and local environments. Fragile ecosystems are destroyed. Birds and bats are killed. Animal habitats are disrupted and wildlife is driven from the area. Noise and vibrations cause human health problems, including sleep problems, headaches and nervous disorders. Home values and real estate prices are reduced, with some properties becoming impossible to sell.
|Two griffon vultures killed by turbines in Navarre, Spain. One of them has been sliced in half by the blade. Source.
Wind Turbines Cause Environmental Damages:
- Destruction of fragile ecosystems and animal habitats
- Turbines kill birdsand other flying animals
- Migrating Birds
Wind Turbines Cause Human Health Problems:
- Turbine "blade thump" noise causes a health problem known as Wind Turbine Syndrome
- Symptoms include:
- Sleep disturbance
- Ringing or buzzing in the ears
- Visual blurring
- Rapid heart rate
- Problems with concentration and memory
- Panic episodes associated with sensations of internal pulsation or quivering, which arise while awake or asleep
Wind Power Causes Economic Problems:
- Homes located near wind turbines lose significant value
- Some homes become impossible to sell and are abandoned by their owners
- Wilderness areas lose economic value as recreational and vacation locations
- Tourism supported businesses suffer
Supporters Say the Damage is Justified.
They say the communities that are disrupted, environments that are destroyed, and people who are made sick need to "sacrifice" for the greater good. People most severely impacted by the damages are dismissed as "NIMBYs" and accused of being selfish.
Reasons Used to Justify Damage Caused by Wind Power:
- Dependence on foreign oil
- Global warming
- Clean and renewable energy
- New "green" jobs
Are the Benefits Real? Is the Damage Worth It?
Does wind power reduce foreign oil dependence?
- Wind turbines produce electricity, but only 1% of American electricity comes from oil.
- Producing electricity with wind doesn't help because electricity isn't coming from oil.
- Even if wind could produce all our electricity, it wouldn't impact oil.
Industrial wind has no impact on foreign oil dependence or consumption.
Does wind power reduce carbon emissions?
- When wind blows traditional power plants are throttled back slightly, but not shut off.
- They are kept running to be ready when the wind slows.
- Fuel consumption and c02 emissions continue even as wind turbines produce electricity.
Industrial wind power has no meaningful impact on carbon emissions, and zero impact in areas serviced by hydro or nuclear power.
Is wind power really clean and renewable energy?
- Industrial wind alone cannot replace traditional methods of power generation because the wind is uncontrollable.
- Industrial wind can only supply additional energy to the grid, it cannot supply modern reliable power.
- Wind power provides only extra energy, it does not produce baseload electricity.
Industrial wind power is only as clean and renewable as the traditional power source it supplements.
Does wind power create "green" jobs?
- On average 1 low-paid maintenance worker is employed for every 12-15 turbines.
- Turbines are manufactured overseas and assembled onsite by specialized firms.
Industrial wind power creates jobs in foreign countries, but not at wind factories.
Wind power doesn't deliver the benefits, so are the damages really justified?
Of course not.
IS THERE A BETTER WAY? YES.
Energy Conservation is More Effective, Affordable and Environmentally Friendly than Industrial Wind Power.